Sunday 6 November 2011

Case Study of Father and Daughter.






With a lecture with Caroline we looked at the visual construction of Father and Daughter and how Michael Dudok de Wit uses such limited detail yet it is clear to the audience what is being shown and to it's best effect. 

Now I am trying to achieve some of the points that Dudok de Wit has achieved but he doesn't use any face animation or close ups, that is one thing I really do want in my film, but I did certainly look at the other factors I could apply to my film.

  • The variety of layouts, he uses a mass amount of different angles even though most of the film is of the same location, he also uses different times of day and weather to make it more interesting.  
  • Dynamic framing, some could call this film very flat, which at some times it is, but some shots are quite dynamic with clever use of angles without the characters looking flat.
  • A good use of contrast in the film makes it visually interesting and exciting for the audience and for the progress of the story, from flat to depth, calm to danger, large to small etc.
  • It's use of tonal range gives the film a nice variety in it's same setting and the use from high to low contrast 
  • It's simplistic backgrounds most interest me, as I am having trouble deciding on how the environment is going to look like, I love the simplistic look of the trees and use of washed colours and grainy textures.
  • The use of shadows is very present in this film, it highly defines the character's silhouettes and also makes them stand out from some of the backgrounds even though the whole shot is all very similar tonal colours. 
  • Mirroring the characters in some puddle reflections is a good way add some dynamics to the shot. 
  • And finally the use of space, the film always seems to be like it's set in a big open space even though there is not much on the screen.  The use of layout and where to put the floor lines is cleverly placed.  I think I will have to have a closer look at this technique when I'm on the final shot of my film as I will not be showing the big open space but I want the audience to feel like there is one.





No comments:

Post a Comment