Monday 28 November 2011

Rough Animatic 1 - Feedback

Over the last week I have put my animatic on the internet and getting as much feedback as possible from animation students, friends from home, and tutors.  Overall I feel I have gathered a reasonable about of feedback to improve my next animatic:
  • When the creature sees the light and is unsure about it, that scene could be cut down to just a couple of actions spanned across maybe even just one or two shots.  
  • Gemma Ursell lied how the light is shown as a big issue for the character, and thinks it's a simple story that 3 minutes can work well with.
  • Sin liked that the storm had been moved the the beginning of the film now but felt that maybe just before it would be nice to see the character happy at some point.  She also suggested that at the end have her do a little dance with the dragonfly to satisfy her craving of wanting to see the monster happy at the end.  
  • Sin also stated that the film works much better now that it has been stripped down to it's basics and making it slow but more powerful.  
  • Pablo liked the interaction with the light beams for the first time.  He suggested that the dragonfly needs to be included in the final shot somewhere around her to to seem like it is threatened by her.
  • He also suggested that the dragonfly could be startled to fly away by a drop of water etc rather that just fly away and the audience may be getting confused with it just not wanting her company.
  • Gemma Roberts pointed out that a few drawings were unclear on what exactly was happening, and that I should hold some shots a little bit longer, less cuts, and that slower editing suits my film.
  • She also noted that when working into my next draft that I need to make it more clear that the pond has been effected by the storm.  
  • Owain who had for the first time seen my film idea and animatic thought that it was about a lonely creature and no one wanted to be her friend, this was from the dragonfly flying away, therefore I think it would be better if the dragonfly got startled like Pablo said, rather than the creature maybe scaring it away.  
  • Caroline liked the structure but agreed that there needs to be more of a building of tension and I need to look at my graph of action/pacing.  She also noted that there needs to be a shot of the creature responding to who she's looking at the end when she leaves.  
  • She also suggested that the scene with the dragonfly needs to be expended, have the creature chase or follow the dragonfly around the pond on a playful way and then it flies away.  Matt also suggested this and to think of it as chasing a butterfly, it is seen as harmless. 
  • Leonie suggested that when she leaves the pond that she should lift herself up somehow, like climb over a log otherwise a back silhouette of her crouched down will look unappealing and confusing.
  • Caroline also mentioned my creatures design,  I must be careful with her poses, as my character is naked and I have adapted some frog-like poses I must be careful that they aren't seen as sexualised.  Therefore I am making sure my creature is mainly hunched, have more hair covering her than skin.  
  • Loads of people agreed that the music goes very well with the tone and pacing of the film, so I am going to try my best to find a composer who can producer something along the lines of this piece.
  • More than one person suggested to end the film just when she leaves the pond, the audience doesn't need to know where she goes.

Overall I think my feedback went quite well, there were no major plot or structure errors and I feel minus my environment design I am on a solid track to completing my final animatic.

No comments:

Post a Comment