Tuesday 18 October 2011

Stories Stories Stories?

I am finding it quite hard to come up with a set story that is both interesting, has a message I want to tell and not making it completely depressing.  I want to avoid the cliche 'happy ending'  but at the same time I do not want a depressing sad one either,  I just simply wont enjoy making a story like that.

After a little gathering with some friends we all discussed our films and what troubles we were having.  With sharing my ideas and problems with the group we all started brainstorming and bouncing some ideas about how the story could play out with the meeting of a swamp creature and a little girl.

With our discussion we came up with the rough story that:

The swamp creature is an isolated being but doesn't know any better so if perfectly content with her life.  Until she comes across a little human girl who shows her some kindness.  The child then has to leave and does not return the next day (perhaps as she is at school?) and the creature waits for her.  The next day again and still no sign of the girl, so the creature goes out to look for her into the unknown forest.  However being out of the swamp so long the mud around her moist skin starts to dry, she has been out of the water too long.  She eventually turns into a crusted mud statue, and just on the outskirts of the little girls back garden.  The little girl discovers the still creature and goes to see her every day.


I found this story interesting but I just didn't feel like it was the kind of ending I wanted and also the atmosphere of the story was a bit too eerie for me.




After showing Caroline some sketches of my swamp creature she suggested why not just cut out the humans all together and completely focus on the swamp creature.  I didn't even consider this option as I did want some interaction between two characters but who said it had to be human.  So I went back to the drawing board and tried to see if it would work with only one character.    

No comments:

Post a Comment