Tuesday 11 October 2011

Style Inspiration

Over the summer I was exploring a lot of illustrators and graphic novels and seeing if any would be a good influence for my final film.

One graphic novel I looked at and really liked the style of was Vera Bee's 'Anya's Ghost' that had a simple nice style with just blueish grey shading and the characters were likable in design and personality.  The Ghost of the story I found most interesting, her light airy feel, her hollow eyes yet having lots of emotion and her very fluid line quality.  This is when I started to think I wanted some sort of inhuman character for my final film.  

Anya's Ghost 2011 (c) Vera Bee

Another artist I found was the talented web-graphic novelist Emily Carroll.  One comic I came across was the Prince of the Sea which was a sinister tale of a Prince and mermaid who fall in love but cannot be together for their separate worlds.  Then one night they plan to meet his uncle kills the Prince for the kingdom and the mermaid takes him deep into the depths for her sea as she thinks he has given up his breath for her, and together they remain forever.  Her style is beautifully dynamic and her use of colour is perfect for the feel of the scene.  I really do like her abstract backgrounds too.

(c) Emily Carroll

Along the same lines as Emily Carroll I also looked at the concept artist Brittney Lee, I have seen her work appear in a few animation books such as 'Prepare to Board' - Nancy Beiman.  Her style seems to developed into a more Mary Blair style with no lines and beautiful use of colour and shapes.  I adore her layout of illustrations and grace of the character's pose's.

Lagoon (c) Brittney Lee



While looking for illustrations of forest and environment inspiration I came across an illustrator named Cory Godbey who has recently brought out a book called 'The Hidden People' that is a small illustrated book of various forest creatures.  I was drawn to the beauty of the way he drew the trees and  and marvelous creatures that he presented as kind gentle beasts that weren't stereotypically beautiful or even pretty but were still very catching to the eye.  His nice sepia wash of greens, browns and even sometimes blue I am considering using for my film also.

The Hidden People (c) Cory Godbey

Over the summer I have also bee watching a lot of Adventure Time and the luck that the concept artists are quite happy to upload their work is a bit of a joy.  Two artists I've been following is Rebecca Sugar and Natasha Allegri and looking at their again simplistic style and loose boneless bodies, I love how they can capture emotion in the face and body with not much detail. 

(c) Rebecca Sugar
(c) Natasha Allegri

When I was drawing my pond girl while she was underwater I seemed to almost subconsciously draw her hair in a nouveau art style.  One of my favorite illustrators Mucha is behind this and his amazing way of drawing hair is one of my big inspirations yet also a dangerous one if it is to be animated.

Dance (c) Alphonse Mucha







No comments:

Post a Comment