Saturday 31 December 2011

Storybeats and Colour research

When presenting my presentation to the class I showed some coloured storybeats, that gives a good idea what a finished frame will look like.  The criticism I got was that some frames are too dark and that all of them look generally muddy and there is too much brown.  I was suggested to add some other colours like perhaps purple.

Photobucket
As research I looked at existing forest backgrounds in animated films and some illustrations, more preferably at night.

These are some illustrations from various illustrators, some are a bit too abstract for my film, but the use of colour is interesting.

Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket


 The rest are either concept art specifically for an animated film or an actual background, mainly from Tarzan.
Photobucket
Concept art from jungle book
  Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket

These too are the most helpful for me as they are dark and there isn't as much sun light present.  The night one is the most interesting as one of my big problems with my storybeats colour tests was that the night was too dark and just lots of browns and black.  But in Tarzan there are no browns or blacks at all, mainly blues, yet it still reads as a forest.  I will experiment with blues at night with my film.
Photobucket Photobucket

No comments:

Post a Comment